Library Staff Certification
Local libraries, library systems, and district library centers that receive state aid must have staff certified at levels specified by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Certification levels (22 PA Code §§ 133.1 – 133.6) are:
- Library assistant - Completed at least 2 academic years of college education and 9 cred hours of library science course;
- Provisional librarian - Bachelor's degree from a 4-year college or university and completed at least 12 credit hours of library science course; and
- Professional librarian - Bachelor's degree from a 4-year college or university and master's degree in library science.
Certification requirements for library directors and library personnel are found in:
- Local libraries - 22 PA Code § 141.21 (2)(iv)(C);
- Systems and system members - 22 PA Code § 141.24 (f)(2); and
- District Library Centers - 22 PA Code § 141.22 (e)(2)
To obtain certification, library directors and staff must submit an application to the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).
To maintain a public library's eligibility for state aid, library directors that do not meet required certification levels must submit an application requesting an extension of time to become certified. Applications must include an educational plan.