The Office of Commonwealth Libraries (OCL) within the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) supports, develops, and provides library services for learning and advancement.
Purpose and Core Values
We collect, preserve, and connect government, libraries, and residents to the information and resources they need to build a successful Pennsylvania.
- We care about what we do and the services we provide.
- We are enthusiastic about the possibilities for the State Library.
- We are dedicated to the profession of librarianship.
- We encourage patrons to use the library and to share their experiences, bringing in new patrons.
- We respect and value each person and their work; we listen, seek to understand, and acknowledge each person without bias.
- We act ethically and with transparency.
- We value privacy.
- We are accountable for our actions.
- We strive for honest and clear two-way communications at all levels.
- We strive to be the best with consistency, accuracy and flexibility.
- We believe Pennsylvania should have the best service and access to information.
- We encourage lifelong learning for ourselves and others and support the curiosity of our patrons.
- We value collaborative relationships.
- We strive to be an example of government that works.